On February 26 at 6:00 p.m., my good friends Jared and Tracy from Grand Cru Classes, a wine education center on the North Fork, will be hosting a special seminar titled "Long Island Wines: From Potato Farms to Parker Points" at the newly launched City
Winery in Manhattan. They'll be discussing the history and growth of the Long Island wine industry, highlighting the recent successes and recognition the region has received.
The 90-minute program will include a guided wine tasting, featuring the following six wines, all of which have been graciously donated by the respective wineries.
- TBD, Sparkling Brut, NV
- Waters Crest Winery 2008 Sauvignon Blanc
- Peconic Bay Winery 2005 La Barrique Chardonnay
- Comtesse Therese 2007 Rosé
- Macari Vineyards 2004 Cabernet Franc
- Wolffer Estate Vineyards 2004 Estate Selection Merlot.
This is a great and unique way for New Yorkers to learn about the wines being made in their own back yard. The local wine region doesn't do as much outreach direct to consumers in NYC as it probably should, so check it out.