Tomorrow night, I'll be co-hosting, with the folks at Peconic Bay Winery, a tasting of nearly 20 rieslings as a part of the TasteNY project I kicked off several months ago.
I'll be joined by several local winemakers, including Anthony Nappa (Shinn Estate), Juan Micieli-Martinez (Martha Clara Vineyards), Greg Gove (Peconic Bay Winery), Kareem Massoud (Paumanok Vineyards), Kelly Urbanik (Bedell Cellars), Miguel Martin (Palmer Vineyards) and Rich Olsen-Harbich (Raphael).
Jim Silver from Peconic Bay has pulled together some 'ringer' wines -- well-rated wines from Washington State, Germany, France and Austria -- and several of the winemakers have added their own creations to the 12 Finger Lakes rieslings chosen for the project:
- Heron Hill Winery 2005 Old Vines Riesling
- Ravines Wine Cellars 2006 Riesling
- Red Newt Wine Cellars 2006 Reserve Riesling
- Sheldrake Point 2006 Reserve Riesling
- Atwater Vineyards 2007 Dry Riesling
- Wiemer Vineyards 2007 Dry Riesling
- Dr. Konstantin Frank 2007 Dry Riesling
- Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards 2008 Homestead Reserve Riesling
- Anthony Road Wine Company 2008 Semi-Dry Riesling
- Billsboro Winery 2008 Riesling
- Fox Run Vineyards 2008 Riesling
- Lamoreaux Landing 2008 Red Oak Vineyard Riesling
We'll be asking the tasters to score the wines using the standard American Wine Society 20-point system.
Look for a post with results later in the week.